The tempest over GSO's official Googlefi website hit the N&R this morning.
It's a real issue on two fronts: the site is inadequate to the job at hand, and the site does not seem to provide reasonable value for the price charged to build and maintain it.
All of those problems carry the caveat "so far," but this is a time-sensitive project.
On the other hand, it's too early and too breathless to say this part of the public effort "could blow Greensboro's chances."
The City's formal response to Google's RFI is a crucial element here. We are fortunate that Danny Thompson, Nancy Vaughan, Robbie Perkins, and other Council members jumped on this early, enabling staff to get going on the project.
Beyond that, factors beyond our control (location, demographics, economy) have to play a large role in GOOG's decision.
Still, the public response is said to be important.
It may be that more is going on behind the scenes than we know. I hope so, but that would be a problem in itself -- this should be a transparent effort with meaningful ways for the public to contribute.
Meanwhile, we're left to wonder: Where's Bill Knight? What are the CoC and Action Greensboro and the universities and MoCoHS and the public schools et al doing, and who is coordinating that effort?
It matters not if one stumbles at the starting line....its how one finishes the race.
Posted by: Ross Myers | Mar 11, 2010 at 09:42 AM
Since this initiative is potentially huge for NCA&T and Bennett College -- both in District 2 -- I'd also like to ask, where's Jim Kee?
Posted by: David Wharton | Mar 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM
To individuals: there is a section at the google RequestForInformation site where individuals can nominate their community. Google has said they are going to look at the volume and quality of those responses in addition to the formal gov't response. Click the link, then hit the 'Nominate Your Community' button. It's a short form, and if Google sees the same types of responses - big educational community, strong local online presence, etc - it would help.
Posted by: Jim Caserta | Mar 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM
As Jim says, the community response does seem to be important to Google. The biggest indication of that is the fact that Google is soliciting responses from individuals and community organizations who can nominate their city for this. We've tried to make links to that form very clear and prominent on GoogleGreensboro.com web site.
Probably one of the best things that people can do is go to this page, click on the "Nominate Us Here" link and fill out the form (you may have to sign-up for a Google account first, which you should be able to do with any email address). Then encourage everyone you know to do the same.
Getting more people to that link to fill out that form will be one of the main things we'll be focusing on Saturday at the ACC Tournament.
(And for those who don't know, I work for RLF).
Posted by: Mark Tosczak | Mar 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Mark, I'm curious as to how RLF justifies the $1000 for web design and $2000 for maintaining/updating the web site? Is there someone at RLF that I can call or email about that?
I'm not a negative blogger or a jealous developer or whatever else the N&R alleges. ;) But I am a fiscal conservative. People work hard for the money they pay in taxes, and it's wrong for the City to misspend that money overpaying for anything -- a web site or whatever.
Many web hosts do one-click installs of WordPress now. It takes minutes (and one button) to set up the site. The WordPress software is free. The GoogleGreensboro.com web site uses the default WP theme. That's free.
The site does have a modified header, but it's very basic, using an image of the city skyline, and Google graphics that were already existing (and free). There are additional items in the sidebar, but again, basic stuff -- images (already existing and free) and links in a text widget.
There's nothing about that web site, as it is now, that should cost $1000. Unless there's more coming, then taxpayers have overpaid. And $2000 this month to maintain and update it? There's nothing much to maintain on a new WordPress install. And I see four blog posts. So basically, that's $500 per blog post?
There are people in this town who don't have jobs anymore, but they're still paying property taxes. The City, and the businesses that the City contracts with, have a moral and ethical obligation to not rip those people off. Just because you can get away with something, that doesn't mean you should.
I'm really disappointed about this whole thing. It's just very revealing about a lot of people. RLF should do the right thing and either return some of the $3000 to taxpayers, or give the City its money's worth and develop the site beyond a basic WordPress blog and make it competitive with the other cities' sites.
You are welcome to pass that message along to the folks at RLF or give me an email address to send it to. I'm just discouraged. Really. Someone should have known better.
Posted by: Michele Forrest | Mar 11, 2010 at 04:41 PM
Ditto, Michele Forrest!
Posted by: RecycleBill | Mar 11, 2010 at 04:46 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Action Greensboro, not the City, is paying the $10K to RLF?
What we've seen online is still not worth it, but that would make people feel better about tax dollars...
Posted by: Ed Cone | Mar 11, 2010 at 04:48 PM
It would make me feel 110% better.
Posted by: Michele Forrest | Mar 11, 2010 at 04:52 PM
"Action Greensboro donated part of the services from work RLF begun at the group’s request last week to help the city with our social media efforts around Google Greensboro. Action Greensboro were going to engage a corporate sponsor to cover all the costs for RLF’s services, however, it was deemed best not to have an intermediary in this arrangement. There is interest in ensuring that the social media platforms remain open and accessible by the public wanting to engage in the Google Greensboro campaign efforts. Having the city engage RLF directly avoids any appearance of fettered access and hopefully alleys any such concerns. In addition, considering there were only 4 weeks left for this effort (going on 3 weeks) we did not have time to write specs and issue a RFP for this purpose. " -- Source
Posted by: Roch101 | Mar 11, 2010 at 04:59 PM
"Getting more people to that link to fill out that form will be one of the main things we'll be focusing on Saturday at the ACC Tournament."
Do the fans coming to the Greensboro Coliseum for the ACC tournament really give a rats ass about google for greensboro? NO , try again.
Posted by: triadwatch | Mar 11, 2010 at 07:01 PM
Ed,
If you want to start grass roots movement to lure Google maybe you should contact the local tea party.
If Google is truly going to invest their own money and not ask for corporate welfare, they're your best bet.
Posted by: Jon A Firebaugh | Mar 14, 2010 at 04:12 PM